Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Myths and Misconceptions of Endometriosis..

So I have spoken before about the misleading information that is out there for the public about endometriosis, heck I've even been told a few myself..
We can relate this back to the fact that there hasn't been enough research into this disease to support facts. I myself find it also hard to believe that male gynecologists can understand the pain. That may sound harsh and I'm sure they do a fantastic job, but they don't understand the pain..
I bought this up after an article I saw on twitter last night was posted.. There were misconceptions in the article that I saw a lot of women up in arms. We need facts and every article that is posted needs to have correct information, you don't see articles about cancer with misleading facts.. We need all the correct facts, I'll be bringing up the probably most common misconceptions and facts about endometriosis.. Feel free to comment if I missed anything!

Period pain is normal
Attitudes towards this also taboo subject of a women's menstrual cycle have changed over time.. Severe period pain that keeps us women from going about our day to day activities is not normal.. This is what alerted me to the fact thy I had a problem (at this time it was not located in pelvic area) this pain was excruciating.. I was in so much pain at school that I would be going to the bathroom every class.. I was embarrassed.. I didn't want people judging me, but it hurt so much. If period pain is affecting your everyday life then you should get it checked out. So many women have no idea that they have endometriosis.. I now know that the pain was not normal! This pain now effects me and millions of other women everyday. We can't go about our day to day tasks. I know personally that if I stand or sit for too long I have a lot of pain, at this point to pain killers will help. This has also affects my sleep and relationship.. Luckily I do have someone who is amazing that will look after me.. I have heard that plenty of women have had relationships end because of the toll it has taken on the relation.. I understand that it's difficult for partners to understand, but they need to be educated to help their girlfriends through the difficult times!

no-one is too young for endometriosis
It has only been recently that more and more teenagers are being diagnosed with endometriosis, I myself was obviously diagnosed at 16.
The diagnosis is sometimes only found when women are trying to conceive a child and can't.. It is thought that endometriosis does start in your teens but women wait till their 20's and 30's to be diagnosed. As said in the previous post, this is not normal. I have read that the earlier you start your menstrual cycle the higher chance you have of developing endometriosis..
Now I don't know if this is true, but sayings this, I had my first menstrual cycle in 2004 when I was in year 4.. I was 9 or 10 I believe..

Pregnancy cures endometriosis
Now I have been told that if I became pregnant that my endometriosis will magically disappear, now we didn't go into this subject.. But correct me if I'm wrong.. Is it because you don't have a period for 9 months? If this is why women are being told to become pregnant then we can say that this is 100% false! I haven't had a period in almost 9 months and my endometriosis has grown without being fed, now with saying that I could e wrong! I myself may have that fact wrong.. Another may be the pregnancy hormones help surpass periods.. I don't know.. But we can confirm this is false!

Hysterectomy cures endometriosis
Now we are seeing that endometriosis just doesn't occur on your uterus, Ect.. It has been found on the lungs, brain and other tissue you wouldn't expect! Now I have also been told that a hysterectomy may be my only other option.. I have spoken to so many women on twitter that have gold me that after so many years of enduring the pain they have just eliminated the problem. Unless the tissue surrounding the area is completely clear, endometriosis will come back!

Now it was the article on twitter that got me started last night, there needs to be more understanding and any "false" articles need to be removed. I am hoping that one day there is a cure for this horrible disease. I don't want anyone to keep going through this..
It upsets me that I am on so much medication to help stop this disease but its not helping.. Without the women thy I speak to on a daily basis about this disease we wouldn't be getting our message out there.. It's time to start getting the facts about this disease that is ruining my life and million of other women's lives out there! So if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Everyone thought I was too young to have endo. I Am 16 now and was diagnosed at 13. So many girls go unknowing for years because they are "too young" and doctors don't even want to check them. THANK YOU for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I was diagnosed last year and had a laparoscopic surgery a year ago this month. Was 23 when I found out and 24 now. Still looking for information about endometriosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to share my personal experience in this field. Some time ago I was ready to give everything for the opportunity to become a mother. Biologically I am now my baby mother. I have no eggs and due to cancer and I lost my uterus. I had no variants. Since I am from Hungary surrogacy is illegal here. We started looking for variants abroad, here a cost varies greatly. After reviewing a large number of clinics, we contacted native iyabasira native clinic They offered an ‘all inclusive’ package that we were very happy with, as we were only focused on winning. And it is much cheaper than somewhere else and we were surprised with conditions and attitude to us. After 1.5 years we became parents. And it is pricelessly. this is mother iya herbs works, email info (nativeiyabasira@yahoo.com) In such cases her herbs is a real solution to become a happy mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from fibroid, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered from fibroid for more than 20 year of marriage after our first son and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she had irregular and painful menstrual flow and the size of it was 5cm, and she always complain of stomach pain. we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and she left the contact of the doctor who had the natural cure to fibroid. I never imagined fibroid has a natural cure if not surgery not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Williams, and in one months time we went to the hospital for scan and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of fibroid and now she is fully okay, even up till this moment she is so full of life. fibroid has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get his medication.

    ReplyDelete